Take advantage of fall’s fresh produce with this Warm Black Bean & Rice Salad that utilizes freshly roasted sweet potatoes. Sweet Potatoes are a great source of vitamins A and C, and contain iron which is crucial to keep our bodies functioning properly. Plus, this recipe only takes 40 minutes and you’re all done!
Warm Black Bean & Rice Salad with Shredded Chicken, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Corn and Cumin Vinaigrette
Yield: 8 (1 cup) servings
Time: 40 minutes
- ¼ cup + 2 tsp./~2 ½ oz. margarine, divided
- 2 cups/8 oz. ½” diced sweet potato
- ¾ cup rice
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¼ cup/2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 8 oz. cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cups/8 oz. corn (from about 2 ears)
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup/2 oz. scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup/½ oz. roughly chopped cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Melt the margarine in a small saucepan. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Toss with 2 tsp. of the margarine, and salt and pepper to taste. Roast until softened and slightly brown, about 20 minutes. Reserve.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the rice. Place rice in a small saucepan. Add 1¼ cups water and a pinch of salt. Cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes. Reserve.
3. While the sweet potatoes and rice are cooking, prepare the warm vinaigrette. Add the cumin to the remaining margarine. Heat it again until the cumin is aromatic, about 30 seconds. Stir in the lime juice. Reserve.
4. In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, rice, chicken, corn and black beans. Toss with warm cumin vinaigrette. Taste and adjust seasoning. Just before serving, stir in the scallions and cilantro.
Read More »